Getting in a car accident is enough to deal with on its own, but there’s also the aftermath to deal with. Fighting with insurance, healing from injuries, and waiting on car repairs is taxing. Obtaining an official report of the accident is always a good idea so you have a record of the event. Keep reading to learn how to apply for a traffic accident report that happened in Philadelphia. 

Philadelphia police accident report

What is the Purpose of Getting a Police Accident Report?

There are several reasons you might want an official report following an accident. While the police report won’t assign fault, it does serve as evidence when it’s time to file an insurance claim or sue the other party. Philadelphia uses comparative negligence to determine how much compensation someone can receive for an accident. That means that you can still receive an insurance claim even if you were found partially at fault for the accident. An official report serves as documentation of your part in the accident so they can determine fault. The more evidence you have, the more likely you are to receive fair compensation from a claim or lawsuit. In addition to the police report, your evidence should also include any medical bills, available photos or videos, eyewitness reports, and car repair bills. 

Where You Can Request a Traffic Accident Report

The Pennsylvania Department of Records advises of a 2-3 week processing time for traffic accident reports. There are three ways that you can obtain an accident report in Philadelphia: online, in person, and by mail. Before you receive the record, you must fill out an application and pay a fee before waiting for processing.


To order your police report online, visit the city’s Department of Records web portal. From there, you can create a login and pay the fee to file your application for your report. Only traffic reports are available online; all others must be requested in person or online. 

In Person

If you’d like to receive the report in person, visit the City of Philadelphia’s Department of Records at 1400 John F. Kennedy Blvd. Bring cash, money order, or certified check to pay the $25 fee. Department hours are 8am-4:30pm Monday through Friday.


To request the traffic accident report by mail, print off the application, fill it out, include your payment, and mail it to:

Department of Records

Public Safety Records Unit

City Hall, Room 170

1400 John F. Kennedy Blvd

Philadelphia, PA 19107

What to Do With a Traffic Accident Report

After you receive the official accident report, you should make copies for your records. You may also need more copies to send to insurance and your lawyer. The report serves as key evidence and can help strengthen your case to recover damages for injuries or property damage. A car accident lawyer in Philadelphia can help you negotiate with insurance, gather evidence for you, and represent you in court so you receive the compensation that you deserve. The Jason Javie Law Office is here to guide you through the process and offer advice. Contact us to go over your case and schedule a consultation with our law team.